Friday 24 August 2012

Inspiration: in everyday life !

Hello.. What inspires you?
Could it be something tangible, like people and objects?? Or something you can't see, like a thought or future plans??

Inspiration, for me, comes from nature- the sounds and sights in the morning sunshine.
 


I have no reason to need the things that I do purchase and desire. Sometimes society puts it upon me. I must have a new item in my wardrobe every season. I must have the latest edition iPhone to keep up with everyone..
And sometimes it's the community network of people around me that I feel pressure from to conform to their ideals, keeping my opinions hidden..

In the last week I was asked if I had a Will and that I simply could create one to ensure that plans were in place for the time when I wouldn't be able to have a say in the future direction of my stuff..

I clearly pointed out that I do not have the large assets at this time, of a house or a car or children that need to be provisioned for.

 "Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moths and vermin destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moths and vermin do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also. (Matthew 6:19-21 NIV)

I know I have a lot of stuff- a whole helmer full of nail polish bottles numbering over 300, piles of books I have not yet read and many bags of clothes I can not part with until after the next season or the one after that. I feel extremely lucky to live the way I do, with God providing me with resources and money and stuff that I have acquired and purchased. 

And that's all it is to be, stuff. Junk even. 

Back when I went as a 10 year old to stay at my grandfathers house, I remember he had a clock on his wall, with a round black face, metallic spikes around the edges and metallic numbering. I used to joke with him that I should write my name on a sticker so that when the time comes to divide his property I would be able to possess it.
Only 8 years after his death have I realised that the clock has gone, I never did affix that sticker to his clock- back before I grew into an adult, and he retired- moving to a rural property, and then the family selling everything to divide his assets between the 3 of his adult children, including my mother.

But that clock was only a clock, it sure did look fancy hanging on the wall to my younger eyes- and if things were different- the clock may be ticking time in my possession.
But stuff is all it can be to anyone needing to at sometime dispose of my own stuff hanging on the wall, it definitely won't have the same fancy look about it to their eyes. I think there is no need to hang onto stuff because of the look or the importance that other people place on it.

I value that things can be as reminders for events and memories experienced with people I love. The clock is long gone from my life; however, the memory of it hanging pride of place on my grandfathers wall, the life and times we shared together can never be erased from my life

As I remember his kind and generous nature, as well as being a person insisting on a fairness to others and a jovial sense of humour, I will continue to treasure the gifts from heaven- resources God has placed in my hand. I will instill into my life and remember my kind and fair grandfather who was also generous through times when he shared his resources.
 
For where your treasure is,
there your heart will be also.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. Please leave a comment.. I have turned on verification, there have been some crazy weird spam comments recently, sorry if you are a real polish loving person... What did you think? How are you going?